How Much Does a Medical Answering Service Cost?
Calculate The Average Price Here
Averaging between $1.37 – $1.45 per minute, find out how much a medical answering service will cost your business. Compare prices from multiple suppliers.
The graph below presents national averages for medical answering services and 24 hour call coverage pricing, spanning from 25 agent minutes up to 1000 minutes. Notably, substantial discounts might be available for usage that goes beyond 1,000 minutes. For details on high-volume pricing, please fill out the questions on the right, and a representative from our accredited call centers will reach out with their rates.
Furthermore, we’ve offered essential insights and recommendations to consider before opting for an answering service or call center solution.
National Average Cost of a Medical Answering Service Per Minute
|Total Minutes Used||Average Cost||Low End $||High End $|
|50 – 100 Minutes||$139||$129||$145|
|100 – 250 Minutes||$245||$140||$360|
|250 – 500 Minutes||$375||$340||$695|
|500 – 1000 Minutes||$950||$580||$1,450|
|1,000+ Minutes||$1,350||$1,200||Varies by Volume|
|*Price ranges by overall call volume and average call length|
National Average Cost of a Medical Answering Service by Provider Type
|Type||Service Offered||Low End Cost||High End Cost|
|Doctors||24 Hour Answering||$140/month||$295/month|
|Dentists||24 Hour Answering||$139/month||$310/month|
|Hospitals||24 Hour Answering||$295/month||$1,700|
|Chiropractors||24 Hour Answering||$147/month||$300/month|
|Medicaid||24 Hour Answering||$200/month||$400/month|
|*Price ranges by call volume and length|
Get an Accurate Answering Service Quote on YOUR Cost
To determine the precise cost of outsourcing to a medical answering service, healthcare providers should request a seven-day free demo. This trial helps the call center gauge the average number of calls and their duration. Armed with this data, the answering service can provide a more accurate monthly rate quotation.
Factors Impacting the Cost of a Medical Answering Service
Medical answering services have evolved into essential extensions of healthcare facilities, ensuring patients and their families have consistent communication access to their healthcare providers. Yet, the cost of employing such a service varies widely depending on specific requirements. Here’s an in-depth look at the elements that can influence the one-time and monthly costs of a medical answering service:
- After-Hours and Holiday Answering:
- Description: Many medical facilities receive calls outside of regular office hours, during weekends, or on public holidays. If a service is needed during these times, it can increase the cost.
- Impact on Cost: Providers may charge a premium for after-hours or holiday services because of the higher demand and lower availability of operators during these periods.
- Bilingual Operators:
- Description: With global mobility and increasing linguistic diversity in many regions, having an operator who can communicate in multiple languages can be vital.
- Impact on Cost: Hiring bilingual operators or those proficient in specific languages can carry an added cost due to the specialized skill set required.
- Average Call Duration:
- Description: Some patients’ queries might be resolved quickly, while others could require more time, especially in complex medical scenarios.
- Impact on Cost: If your average call duration is long, it means operators are occupied with your calls for more extended periods, potentially leading to higher costs.
- Call Volume:
- Description: This refers to the number of calls the service will handle for your facility in a given time frame.
- Impact on Cost: Higher call volumes generally mean more work for the answering service, thus potentially higher costs. Some services might offer volume discounts, but this varies.
- Scheduling Appointments:
- Description: Beyond just answering queries, some facilities might need the service to schedule, cancel, or modify patient appointments.
- Impact on Cost: This added responsibility requires integration with your scheduling system and additional training, leading to increased costs.
- Payment Processing:
- Description: For facilities that allow phone payments, the answering service might be asked to process payments through a portal.
- Impact on Cost: Given the sensitivity of payment data and the need for secure processing, this can significantly increase costs due to required integrations, security protocols, and additional training.
- Integration with CRM:
- Description: CRM (Customer Relationship Management) systems store patient data and history, and integrating with them can provide a more seamless service.
- Impact on Cost: Integration can be complex and require regular updates, increasing both initial and monthly costs.
- Training Requirements:
- Description: If your medical facility specializes in a particular area, or if you have specific protocols, the operators might need specialized training.
- Impact on Cost: Customized training sessions, especially those that are recurring, can add to the service cost.
- Custom Scripting:
- Description: Custom scripts ensure that operators respond to callers in a manner consistent with your facility’s guidelines and ethos.
- Impact on Cost: Developing and updating custom scripts can carry additional costs, especially if frequent changes or multiple scripts are needed.
- Data Security and Compliance:
- Description: Medical data is sensitive. Ensuring that the answering service is compliant with regulations (like HIPAA in the US) is crucial.
- Impact on Cost: Compliance often demands secure infrastructure, regular audits, and continuous training, all of which can escalate costs.
Selecting a medical answering service involves weighing the essential features against the associated costs. By understanding the factors that impact these costs, medical facilities can make informed decisions that balance patient care with budgetary constraints.
National Average Cost of a Medical Answering Service Summary
|Service Type||Average Cost||Low End $||High End $|
|Cost Per Call||$1.41||$1.34||$2.15|
|Cost Per Minute||$1.40||$1.36||$1.48|
|Cost Per Month||$150||$130||$395|
|Minimum Monthly Base Rate||$139||$75||$250|
|Set Up Fee||$55||$0||$150|
|*Price ranges by overall call volume and average call length|
3 Easy Ways to Cut Costs on Medical Answering Services
Medical answering services play a pivotal role in healthcare, bridging the communication gap between patients and providers. However, with tightening budgets in the healthcare sector, it’s crucial to find ways to optimize costs without compromising quality. Here are three easy ways to cut costs on a medical answering service:
- Optimize Call Volume and Duration:
- Assess Peak Times: By analyzing call patterns, you can identify peak times when call volume surges. Adjusting staffing during these times, while minimizing staff during off-peak hours, can lead to significant savings.
- Streamline Scripts: A well-structured script helps operators handle calls efficiently, reducing the average call duration. Regularly reviewing and optimizing scripts ensures that operators can address patient queries quickly and effectively, leading to cost savings on per-minute billing models.
- Leverage Technology and Automation:
- Automated Responses: For frequently asked questions or standard information requests, consider implementing an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system. This technology can handle routine inquiries without human intervention, reducing the need for live operators.
- Integration with Existing Systems: By seamlessly integrating the answering service with your existing CRM or scheduling software, you can reduce the time operators spend on tasks like appointment setting. It minimizes the chance of errors and often comes with the added benefit of a discounted rate from the answering service provider.
- Re-evaluate Service Features:
- Prioritize Essential Features: Not all features provided by an answering service might be relevant to your operations. For instance, if the majority of your patient base speaks English, you might reconsider the need for bilingual operators.
- Bundle Services: Many providers offer discounts for bundled services. If you require additional services like appointment scheduling or payment processing, consider negotiating a bundled rate rather than paying for each feature separately.
While a medical answering service is essential for maintaining consistent patient communication, there are several strategies healthcare providers can employ to ensure they’re receiving the best value for their investment. Through optimization, technology adoption, and a thorough evaluation of service features, costs can be significantly reduced without sacrificing quality.